UK Fly-Tipping Statistics
Book your Quicker Skip NOW!
Fly-tipping is on the rise in the UK:
Did you know that fly-tipping is on the rise in the UK? One of the responsibilities of DEFRA the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs is to make sure that we’re all disposing of our waste correctly. The most recent statistics released show an alarming picture: namely, that fly-tipping is on the rise. The good news is if you care about your environment you can help fight this fight, just by choosing Quicker Skips Affordable Skip Hire Service.
Here are the fly-tipping statistics from DEFRA?
There’s a lot of information to be found in DEFRA’s latest press release, from conviction rates to clean-up costs. The stats themselves cover the 2016/17 year, and were provided by local councils up and down the country.
To see the official report from DEFRA please visit the following .gov site: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/fly-tipping-in-england
“Lancashire was in the top 10 areas affected by fly tipping.”
Here at Quicker Skips, we’ve taken a good long look at them, and picked out some of the key relevant information:
- In 2016/17, councils dealt with 1 million fly-tipping incidents, a 7% increase from the previous year.
- The most common place for fly-tipping was on highways, which happened in around half of the total incidents.
- Household waste was the most common type of waste being dumped and was involved in around 66% of all incidents.
- The most common amount of waste dumped was ‘a small van load’, followed closely by ‘equivalent to a car boot’ (33% and 27% respectively).
- £57.7 million was the estimated cost of clearance for authorities in England over the past year, a 15% increase from the previous year.
- The number of fixed penalty notices (essentially, on-the-spot fines) increased by 56%, and it’s now the second most common enforcement action after investigations.
- With bin collections being reduced to once a fortnight and the increased cost of landfill, fly-tipping has been steadily on the rise since 2008 and unfortunately, 2017 doesn’t seem to be getting any better. But, while the authorities and local councils are taking fresh action to tackle this growing problem, we’re doing our part here at Quicker Skips – and you can help too.
We care for the environment here at Quicker Skips
Obviously, it’s not fantastic news for any of us. But at Quicker Skips we’re determined not to let it get us down; we’re just as committed to environmental causes as we’ve ever been. One of our core aims as a responsible operator is to stay as proactive as we can in minimising our impact on the environment. When you hire a skip with us, the contents are not just taken to landfill, we examine and sort all the materials. Anything that can still be re-used or recycled is removed for a new life elsewhere, with only the barest minimum of it all ending up on landfill.
That means that hiring a skip with us isn’t only stress-free, but you can feel good about doing it, too! We’ve made the entire process as easy and painless as possible – all you have to do is either enquire online our call our professional team who will answer any questions you have and guide you through the process hassle free.
Need a Skip?